The Animation Mentor office and servers are located in Emeryville, California. Whenever the Animation Mentor staff makes reference to dates and times (on Video News, etc) we will refer to the local California time, or Pacific Time.
You can always check the current server time (and local time for the Animation Mentor offices by looking at the clock on the top of the site. This is always displayed, and when we say “Assignments are due on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. Pacific Time” it is to this time that we are referring.
We make this information available to you at all times so there is no confusion about when assignments are due. However, keeping track of the difference between the server time and your local time would be very confusing. By setting your time zone correctly, you will not have to do any conversion to learn when your assignments are due, or when your Q&A starts. You will simply need to set the local time where you are located, and the website will figure it out for you.
A Note about “Daylight Saving Time”
Here in California, we observe what is known as “Daylight Saving Time”. On the second Sunday in March, clocks are set ahead one hour at 2:00 a.m. local standard time, which becomes 3:00 a.m. local daylight time. On the first Sunday in November, clocks are set back one hour at 2:00 a.m. local daylight time, which becomes 1:00 a.m. local standard time.
To put it more simply, in March we move the clocks forward one hour, and in November we move the clocks backwards one hour.
Since the Animation Mentor servers are located in California, the server time is updated to reflect the change. This means that if your country, state or locality does not observe Daylight Saving Time, your Q&A times and assignment upload deadlines will be one hour earlier during this time frame.
Since the dates and times of your events are updated due to your time zone selection, you may need to update this setting during Daylight Saving Time to account for the time change. You will need to update again after the first Sunday in November, when Daylight Saving Time ends here in California.
A news item will remind you of Daylight Saving time, and of this change.
How to Set Up Your Time Zone Correctly
- Click on your name at the top right of the AM campus and choose “Settings”.
- Update the “Local Date” to reflect the local date where you are.
- Update the “Local Time” to reflect the local time where you are.
- If you would like to automatically sync to the Server Time, keep the “Nearest Half Hour” check box checked. This will round your time zone to the closest official time zone.
- If you would rather sync the site time to a specific clock, you may uncheck the “Nearest Half Hour” check box, and set the website time to that clock down to the minute. This way you will know that the site time is synced to your clock
Note: This isn't changing the server time. Just the time that the site shows for your timezone.
- Click “Update Settings”
- Finally, go to the “Calendar” on the left navigation bar, and verify that your deadlines and Q&As are being properly converted to your local time.
How to Update Your Time Zone Due to Daylight Saving Time (DST)
- Click on your name at the top right of the AM campus and choose “Settings”
- Update the “Local Date” to reflect the local date where you are since DST will have changed the time by an hour and the date may be incorrect.
- Update the “Local Time” to reflect the local time where you are since DST will have changed the time by an hour.
- Check/Uncheck “Nearest Half Hour” based on your preference.